«Layers» is the theme for WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge this week. Here’s my entry called Spinning Nude. It’s a composite image with several layers/photos on top of each other.
Spinning Nude by CardinalGuzman.wordpress.com
Check out these links to other entries (and to some of you bloggers that link to everything & everyone that post entries for the WPC: watch and learn. I didn’t just copy WordPress’ list and linked to 50-200 other blogs. Why not? Because that could be considered spamming and people don’t like spam. So, I just picked out a few blogposts that I like and linked to them).
This is my entry for WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge. The theme this week is «Horizon» and I’ve used a technique called ‘displacement map’ to blend these images together. Both photos are shot in Krakow, Poland. One on the streets of Krakow, while I shot the model in the studio of Pawel Wodnicki.
At first I shot photos of the model, Natalia Kuternoga in the studio of the Polish photographer Jacek Ura.
After the photo shoot I did some basic adjustments to the photo in Adobe Lightroom, exported the result and opened it in Adobe Photoshop.
The first thing I did in Photoshop was to make selections to separate the model and background.
Then I created a displacement map from a photo I took of a worn down graffiti wall in an old fort near Krakow in Poland.
I added the displacement map plus a few details from a color splash photo.
Separated two copies of the models left eye. Changed the settings, dodge and burned and finally merged the layers when I had my wanted result.
Brushed in a couple of leaves from the standard Photoshop brushes
I then changed the overall colors of the photo by adding several layer masks (the following numbered list is reversed, so # would be the bottom, # 5 on top):
a black & white layer
gradient map red/orange set to color and with lowered opacity
copy of gradient map set to soft light and a very low opacity
a gradient fill ranging from dark to light green and set to soft light
a color balance layer with a medium opacity and individual settings for the shadows, mid-tones and highlights
The first layer was set to screen mode with a high opacity before I brushed out the unwanted parts leaving the effect basically on the left side of the photo.
The flames was added as 3 layers from two different shots I have in my catalog.
The second layer is another photo of flames, set to darken and medium opacity. Also on this layer I brushed away the effects using a layer mask.
The third flame layer is a copy of the second, but now set to luminosity with a medium strong opacity (and off course with an individual layer mask like all the other layers).
Now the image looks something like what I wanted it to look, so it’s time to go through all the layers and layer masks, change the opacity if needed, brush out masks, and do minor adjustments. I decided to make another copy of the eye, create a selection, border the selection and paint a white circle. I sat the blend mode to lighter color and lowered the opacity and fill drastically, so that it left a hint of some crazy iris but without becoming too dominant.
«In a new post created for this challenge, share a picture that reveals your NEIGHBORHOOD.»
Those of you who follow this blog already know that I’ve been working on a series of posts from my neighborhood called «Gamlebyen: Then & Now». This will be my fourth post and I’ll show some images of a bridge named Geitabru (Goats Bridge). It’s also been known as Oslo Bru and in one of these old photos it’s referred to as Jernbanebroen (The Railway Bridge).
Tyske tropper på vei ut fra Oslo, Gamlebyen med Jernbanebroen i bakgrunnen,.april 1940.